Monday, July 22, 2013

The Warning Light Is Off



The “Engine Maintenance Required” light came on in my Toyota Prius. In fact, it came on about six weeks ago. The warning light means that I am due for an oil change. I hate getting my oil changed. The light has been on for six weeks because I dread the chore of having it done. The guys working at those oil change businesses are all the gruff and unfriendly type. I hate going to them, let alone the time and the money spent. About five months ago I went to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change facility. It was not exactly instant. I think it took almost a half hour, including the time it took them to try to sell me some other kind of extra filter. And the employees were so ill-humored. It is all I can do to keep from lecturing them on how grumpy they are.

Anyhow, a few days ago, when I had looked at the glowing warning light long enough, I decided I would change the oil myself. I went on the internet to watch Youtube videos on how to do it. I watched this one video a couple of times, and then watched one other oil change video too, just in case the first one left something out. It looked pretty easy. I bought a big jug of synthetic oil and an oil filter for my 2008 Prius. The synthetic oil was on sale. Things were looking pretty good.

Yesterday early evening I decided I would finally go out and do it; change my car’s oil. I put on these ugly, grimy pants, a dirty old shirt, and onto my head went this ancient Mets cap. I was ready to go. I went out my door with my pliers in hand, destined for my Prius.

I got in my car and after a few minutes of looking around the car’s dashboard, found the handle to release the hood. I then got out, lifted the hood and following another minute or two, saw how it could be held up with the provided steel rod, rather than a human arm. I then studied the engine itself. The perspective I was getting from my position standing over the engine was nothing like what I had seen on the Youtube video. I knew the bolt that needed to be removed to drain the oil was under the car, but I did not see the oil filter anywhere. I must have spent five minutes walking to and fro, looking at the motor from every angle; I could not find anything that looked like the new filter I had recently purchased.

Well, of course there was only one person to call; my dad. He knows about cars, at least he knows more than I do. I pulled out my cellphone and fortunately, he was home.

“Dad, I’m going to change my car's oil,” I think I said. “I’ve got the filter and the oil and I am at this moment standing over my car engine looking down at it. What do I do next?”

“Okay Katie, before you make another move, here’s what you do,” my father calmly answered, “drop the hood, get into your car and drive it over here. I will show you how to change your oil so next time you can do it all by yourself.”

I hate to admit it but deep down I was hoping he was going to make that very suggestion. I drove straight over to my parents’ and my dad was waiting for me in the driveway when I arrived. He patiently showed where things were and exactly what to do, step by step. It was kind of enjoyable; lying under my Toyota alongside my father as he pointed things out on my car’s engine. And when we were done, he gave me a wrench with the right socket on it for the plug, and a strap-like clamp to take off the oil filter, so I could do everything by myself next time.

The entire tutorial took about three-quarters of an hour. It might sound a little crazy but it may have been that for those forty-five minutes I was to my father the son he never had. I’m not sure about that, but maybe.

Get this; I figured out all by myself what sequence of buttons to push to turn off the warning light. Those grouchy guys at Valvoline won’t be seeing me again… I hope.                       

4 comments:

  1. Great story. From now on, no more Jiffy Lube.. you can change my oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've ever gone to a Jiffy Lube. If I haven't, it's probably becuase I've never had a 10% off coupon for them. But at the risk of sounding prejudice, I'll bet they are an unfriendly bunch... LOL.

      Delete
  2. Very touching story. Beautiful moment with your dad. Impressive initiative on your part. I don't know too many women who change their own oil, hell don't know too many guys who change their own oil. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should point out that I have yet to change my car's oil. And I don't like the idea of my hair greasy with car oil, or grunge under my fingernails (or worse; broken fingernails). But to save $40 and keep away from grumps, I'll make sacrifices.

      Delete