Thursday, July 4, 2013

A July 4th With Crazy Older Guys



As anyone has ever read this moronic blog would know; I’m kind of a daddy’s girl. I call him with the first sign of trouble and he usually comes through for me, no matter the type of trouble I have. He’s not a person to be toyed with. So… I don’t know if what I’m about to say refutes, or supports, that observation. It might do a little of both.

In about a half hour I will go over to my parent’s. I will then travel with my father out of the city to a farm where he, and several of his long-time friends, will meet to blow up various objects with firecrackers, and launch model rockets. This is an annual event that I have only heard of, but about a week ago I was visiting my parents when my dad asked me if I would like to go along. Though I have at one time or another met perhaps all the men attending the event, I was nevertheless surprised by the invite. I'm sure it is considered to be quite an honor to be a guest. However I told my dad I sort of doubted I’d want to go, but I’d think about it and let him know before the 4th. Last night I called and told him that I’d like to go along. He actually became a little bit excited and informed me to come by about 3PM.

I have been assured that no animals will be hurt. As I understand it; casualties will be various model aircraft, automobiles, possibly a small appliance, and perhaps a doll or two. I’ve been told that in recent years one of the “exhibits” has been model rockets launched with explosive payloads timed to detonate in flight. My father said that the traditional grand finale is a hand-made model boat constructed of very lightweight wood and filled with kitchen matches and firecrackers. It is floated out on to the farm’s pond where it becomes the target of BB guns. Supposedly the force of the BBs ignites the matches which burn the boat and explode the firecrackers. My father is going to borrow a neighbor’s BB gun for me to use.

I have gone from thinking of the whole thing as the eccentric silliness of older men, to being excited to go along and be a part of the weirdness. Who knows; it might be the best 4th of July I've ever had. 

And Mom, I'll try not to blow my fingers off.      

1 comment:

  1. The grand finale sounds AMAZING! I hope you were the one that set it off.

    ReplyDelete