Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Parents


I’ve mentioned my parents a number of times in this doofus blog. Well, here is one more entry featuring those two. I woke up early today, early than normal for a Saturday. Since I’ve treated this blog like a personal diary, I might as well admit that I am excited about tonight. I’m going out with Dan, this new guy in my life, and I’ve all but made up my mind that I’m going to “get some”. It’s been a while for me and the thought of it has me kind of on edge, which explains why I awoke earlier than normal this morning.

After eating my raisin brand, I decided to visit my parents this morning. I wanted my father to look at the abusive marks my car has taken recently. Hopefully he can give it some first aid. But I trekked to my parents’ mainly just to do something, to occupy myself.

Anyway, soon after I arrived, I learned that my 62 year-old father had gotten it into his head that he wanted a motorcycle. My mother divulged this information to me while my dad went out examining my maligned Prius. She just shook her head at the notion. I asked her if he was going to get one and she told me that she had given him a very clear, very distinct no. I then inquired as to how my father responded to that. My mother simply said, “I told him no. So there will be no motorcycle.”

After I stopped giggling at the thought of that brief conversation, I asked my mother how in the world she has managed to control Dad for the past 32 years. She kind of shrugged and said “I wish I knew.”

Mom, a month ago
From my observation as their daughter, it looks to me like Mom makes the decisions that are not completely life-altering, which are about 90% of the decisions. The extremely important decisions are my father’s. However my mother’s decisions are usually made with my father in mind, and my father’s decision are usually made with my mother in mind. And for roughly 20 years I was also a consideration in their thinking, in fact, perhaps their prime consideration.

Anyway, it’s good to see that Dad still has this devil-may-care streak in him that makes him want a motorcycle. And it’s good to see that my mother is smart enough, and has the authority to say no to the whole idea.
Dad (candid)

Everything at my parents’ seems to be in proper order, at least for today.                                                 






    

No comments:

Post a Comment