Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Dan


I have the feeling that this is going to be a long entry. Where to begin? Okay, on Monday evening a little after 7PM I got a call. It was Dan, a man I met on the Fourth of July. His calling me was not a huge surprise. During our time together on the 4th he did not seem to find me particularly repulsive. Actually, as soon as he said “Hi”, I knew who it was.

He started out joking. He told me that he had calculated how many days he should wait until he called me, and then calculate again what time of day to actually make the call. He figured four days was the proper number of days to wait. According to Dan; four days was not too many days where I might forget who he is, and not too few days where I might think him too eager. As for the time of day, he wanted to call early evening, but not too early, and not exactly on the hour or half hour, which might make it look calculating. He had a lively voice and was pretty funny about the one little subject of simply calling me.

Anyway, we talked a little about the 4th of July festivities in the country with my father and his friends, where Dan and I had met. Dan said he found that afternoon strangely enjoyable. I told him that I found it strangely enjoyable too. After a brief pause in the conversation, he asked me if I would like to go out for a casual dinner.

I had been thinking about that question since I first picked up the phone, should Dan ask, and I decided that I was game. I then asked him what day he wanted to go. Dan suggested the following day, which was yesterday, Tuesday. I told him that I thought he was rushing it a little. He joked that he had a two-for-one coupon at a pizzeria, and the coupon was going to expire the next day. At that point there was a moment of silence during which time I actually wondered if Dan could sense right through my cellphone that I was smiling. Some women do not go for Dan’s type of nonsense. They find it annoying. I am not one of those women. I told him okay, I would go.

Unlike my last date a few weeks ago, I was not all that revved up about Dan. That is not to say that I was not excited, I was just a little more under control, my vital signs were not so far out of whack as they had been when I was going to meet Mike a few weeks before. To wear, I selected a breezy, mint-green summer dress, and a sleeveless, white blouse.

Dan arrived right on time. After a quick hello, he told me I looked very nice, which was okay with me. I certainly do not mind pleasant compliments. As we were going to his car, Dan asked me where I wanted to go eat. I mentioned the coupon and in an amusing, apologetic voice, he admitted that there never was a coupon. I smiled, nodded, and got into his car. It was very early, but I liked the way the evening was going. It had a good feeling.

We ended up going to the Ginger Root Chinese restaurant. It was kind of a quiet, quaint place. After we ordered beverages, I asked Dan to describe himself. He said that he has had two long-term relationships but he has never been married or had kids. Dan has worked at the same place for six years repairing and installing garage doors. In a somewhat serious, philosophical moment, Dan stated that he was not a “career-oriented guy”, and he did not derive his self-image by his occupation. I think I knew then that not only was I sitting across the table from an independent thinker, but I liked it.  

I told Dan that I had gone to Cornell for two years but had gotten sidetracked by a guy in the summer following my sophomore year. I told him that the relationship went on for almost four years. I told Dan that there are times when I think about going back to school, but I do not regret my decision not to return to Cornell that fall. Dan said that I should not regret it and that I did the right thing. “Love trumps all,” he calmly proclaimed, “even a college education.” At that moment I felt like kissing the man.

After dinner, instead of going right to the car, we walked around that neighborhood for a half hour or so. It felt good to talk to Dan. If he did not share all my various forms of goofiness, he at least understood them and gently kidded me about them.

Just before we got back to the car Dan delicately took ahold of my right arm and turned me his direction to where we were inches apart. He then placed a couple of fingertips under my chin to raise my face towards his. I am such an idiot that I still did not know exactly what was going on, but then when he put his lips to mine, I figured it out. He gave me two very tender kisses in a row. It has been a while since I have been kissed like that. I felt like I was literally melting.  

On the drive back to my apartment all I could think about was; should I ask Dan to stay the night? It was like this weird internal debate. He was this funny, romantic, engaging guy, and I did not want to ruin this little foundation for future possibilities that had been built over the evening. But then on the other hand, well, simply put; I wanted him to make love to me. I wanted him with me in my bed. Steamy kisses from a smart, thoughtful guy will put those thoughts into my head.

About the time we arrived at my apartment’s parking lot I had decided that it would be best if Dan not stay the night, at least not that night. As oddball as it might sound; the two factors that made me decide was that I was almost out of milk for breakfast, and I had not changed my bed sheets in over two weeks. But it turned out it did not really matter. Dan walked me to my door he then smiled and humorously said that he could not come in, that he had to be at work the next day at 6 AM, but he would take a rain check. He then gave me a very sensuous kiss, and whispered to me that he had enjoyed “every minute” of the evening. What a coincidence; so had I.                     

                

3 comments:

  1. Go Dan! I hope he reads this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan knows nothing of this blog, and I'm going to do everything I can to keep it that way.

    As for the "Go Dan!", that could be taken in two different ways. One would sound like a warning that could be rephrased into "Run Dan!" The other way would be more of words of encouragement. If he has any sense, he would go for the former of the two. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - no I mean Go Dan as in how amazing to have a girl write those things about you!

      All good things.

      Matt

      Delete