Thursday, October 31, 2013

Okay, Pass the Bourbon



My beau, Marty, came by last night to watch the World Series game. He promised that he would bring some refreshments, and I promised I would supply the popcorn and microwave pizza rolls. What he brought in the way of refreshments was a bottle of bourbon he had won by betting on the Red Sox in the American League championship series over the Tigers. When he arrived, the bottle had never been opened. Neither of us partakes in bourbon, or for that matter, hard liquor in general, though I do like my wine.

Anyway, Marty stated that should the Red Sox win the night’s game and thereby win the pennant, the two of us should toast them with a splash of bourbon. That sounded like a nice idea, the only trouble was; I did not believe they were going to win the game. I thought that the Cardinals had the better starting pitcher, and the Cards would be playing with more desperation than the Sox. That was my thinking. Marty felt pretty sure that the Sox were going to clinch that night. He needed no reasons; he is simply a positive thinker. Well, after a moment of conversation we made a bet; every time the Red Sox scored a run, I would take a modest swallow of bourbon, and for every run the Cardinals scored, Marty would do the same.

Later that night I witnessed the 9th inning, but it was with a hazy mind, and through bourbon-blurred eyes. Yesterday evening I learned that the Red Sox are the 2013 World Champions and also; I’d better stick to wine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment