Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Yearning For Goofiness



I had a great time with Jack last night. I enjoyed myself much more than I did the night before when I met a guy named Justin for a drink. Jack is calm, funny, and he has a great smile. Justin has a great smile. We went out for pizza, complete with a glass of wine. Since a movie was to follow, I saved room for popcorn. We saw Blue Jasmine. I thought it was really a great movie. It starred Cate Blanchett. I saw her on TV recently in the movie Benjamin Button. I think she is now my favorite.

Afterward, we went to my apartment where we proceeded to do some parking lot necking. I thought about asking Jack if he wanted to move the festivities inside, but I’m not sure where it would have ended had I made the suggestion. So I finally pulled myself away and told Jack that we’d better call it a night. Jack did not pressure me. He whispered to me that though it was early in our relationship, he thought things were really going well between us. It was a really nice thing to say.

I kissed Jack goodnight at my front door, stepped inside and flopped on the sofa. Jack is a great guy but to be totally honest, I could not escape the feeling (it was not really even a thought, just a feeling), that I wanted something more, or perhaps more accurately, something different. I went hiking earlier in the day with a girlfriend and she swears that my biggest problem with guys is that I tend to compare them with my father, and that is completely unfair. I don’t think I compare anyone to anyone else, but maybe I do.

Anyway, after sitting there on my sofa for about ten minutes, I decided to throw caution to the wind. I pull out my phone and called Marty. He had given me his number and said that if I ever felt like calling him, I could. I do not know exactly what time I made that call but Marty swore I did not wake him up.  

I quickly told Marty that on Wednesday I was going to prepare a non-microwave dinner for two, and I wanted him to be the other person at the table. Marty was at first surprised, and then amused. He began to chuckle. His chuckle made me chuckle. Right at that moment I realized what was missing with Jack, and for that matter, Justin too. Such impromptu thinking would complete confound Justin. Jack would find it simply curious. But Marty, he was cheerfully amused.

Marty asked me for the time and the location, and I told him. He then inquired as to what was on the menu. Well of course that, I could not answer. I had only just thought of the dinner a moment earlier, as I was calling, and that’s what I told Marty. Naturally he chuckled some more which made me chuckle some more. Goofiness can be contagious; for those who are susceptible.         

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Blue Jasmine, too.. if you're getting into Cate Blanchett, the ultimate (in my eyes) is Notes on a Scandal. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    You called somewhere around 12:15 in the morning. I was watching the A's - Detroit game and it was in the 9th inning when you called. I think the game ended about 12:30. I would love to know what's for dinner on Wednesday but I'll bet you still don't know... LOL.

    ReplyDelete