Saturday, October 26, 2013

Balancing Acts



Yesterday at work I was walking down a corridor with a cup of coffee in my hand when an overhead light flickered while making a buzzing noise. I glanced almost straight up to the neon light up as I walked under it. As soon as I again looked forward and brought my head back to level, the corridor began wobbling and floating up and down. The dizzy sensation made me stagger forward. I then hurried my feet in an attempt to retain my balance. I failed and went sprawling across the tile floor. Not only did I lose a perfectly good cup of coffee, but I broke my mug that had written on it “Not Now, I’m Drinking Coffee”. I guess I should be grateful that I was not injured.

About six weeks ago I had an unexpected and somewhat scary episode of vertigo in the middle of the night; my first such episode. At my father’s insistence, I ended up in a hospital emergency room. I was diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Apparently my inner ear, specifically the area that is responsible for balance, has become littered with tiny bits of unwanted debris that can raise havoc, especially when my head is moved quickly and in the wrong position. The condition does not bother me often, but now and then it will get me. So I think it is now time to undergo therapy to address the problem.

There is something called the Brandt-Daroff exercise. There are how-to videos on Youtube featuring the exercise, but the emergency room doctor advised against doing them on my own, and there are trained therapists familiar with the exercises. I was also told that the Brandt-Daroff exercises can cause dizziness to the point of nausea and vomiting. Great. I haven’t vomited since getting food poisoning while in Lone Pine, California about five years ago. Vomiting is an experience I could do without. Maybe it won’t come to that.

Tonight is Game 3 of the World Series. Marty, my guy, has been invited to watch the game with some of his buddies. Beer and yelling will be on the menu, I’m sure. That’s what guys do, right? He actually asked me if I would mind if he attended instead of watching the game with me. I think it is nice that he would ask, but of course I do not mind. We have a relatively new relationship, but I want him to have other things going on in his life. If we happen to stay together long-term, I do not think that will change. He will always be free to have his own friends and do his own things.

I have thought about going over to my parents’ this evening and watching the game with my dad, but he might have some friends over too. I’ll have to call and find out later. I could ask one of my girlfriends over this evening, but I’m not sure if any of them would want to really watch the game. I want to watch the game.

I have sat alone in my apartment and viewed many the sporting event. It isn’t so bad. I have found that no one argues with me, and I get all of the pinot noir and popcorn for myself. Actually, that doesn't sound half bad.               

No comments:

Post a Comment