Monday, October 7, 2013

Blog Trickiness



On rare occasion over the months I have had individuals in my real life who might also read this blog. This makes for some tricky situations. My single rule for this blog is that it will never hurt anyone’s feelings. That is not to say that I will not say some negative things about some people. But those people will not know of this blog and therefore will not be reading it.

Another tricky situation is writing in this blog of the moments I share with someone who could very possibly read the blog. This is particularly hard for me because in a sense I use this blog as a diary.

Anyway, the guy in question is Marty, a person I have gotten to know through this blog alone. We have written and talked many times over the past weeks but have never actually met. That first meeting comes on Wednesday. On Thursday I will want to write about that meeting in this blog, but I might not be doing that.

I’m going to go at it this way; from now on when I write a blog entry mentioning Marty, or anyone who knows of this blog with whom I share some private activity, that other person will get to see the blog entry before I publish it, and have the right to approve it, nix it, or perhaps even edit it. I would not be saying anything bad about him or her anyway simply because that would violate my one and only rule; hurt no one’s feelings, so the whole dilemma may never come to anything. But when other people are involved, I think I should show some discretion. Even though scant few people read this blog, I want to be fair.    

No comments:

Post a Comment