Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Morning Junket

I don't know what got into me. I did some walking today. Maybe too much walking. I awoke this morning at about 7AM. I had some cereal and coffee and though I turned on the TV, I kept one eye staring out the window at the relatively clear skies. Finally I could not take it anymore and I grabbed a jacket and headed for the door. My destination was Coldspring Park in Newton, Massachusetts. I was going to walk there. Yes; walk. I estimated the distance to be around two miles.

No sooner than I got out the door did I realize that the safari was a good idea. It was not yet 8 AM and the traffic was almost nil. In fact, it was as though the whole world was still lying in bed. I felt exhilarated.

It really did not take me very long to reach my destination, not nearly as long as I expected. From the time I left my apartment on Chestnut Street near Elliot Street, to my arrival at the edge of the park, about forty-five minutes had passed. And I was not hurrying. I decided I would slowly wander across the park headed in the general direction of Crystal Lake which is maybe a quarter of a mile from Coldspring Park. I just doddled my way across the park. It took me about a half hour before I reached the south end of Crystal Lake.

At Crystal Lake I sat on a bench and just gazed across the shimmering water. Simply sitting there seemed therapeutic. There was still almost no one out and about. I saw a man walking his dog, a bicyclist or two, and a few joggers, that was about it. I finally wandered my way around to the north end of the lake.

At that point I thought; why stop now? So I made my way over to the Newton Cemetery, which is about one fourth of a mile down the street from the north end of Crystal Lake. I must have a morbid side because I enjoy a good cemetery. And Newton Cemetery is a good one. I occasionally go birding there. It is very pretty and well-kept. There are a number of big old trees, and there are a couple of pristine ponds too. When I'm not in a cemetery looking overhead for birds, I am usually meandering along, looking down at the grave markers. I'm not sure what it is about tombstones that draws me in. Maybe they help me appreciate my life. Maybe. I don't really know.

The hike back home took about an hour. I was taking my good old sweet time. I arrived at my apartment about noon, give or take. It was a pretty good day to go out meandering around; dry and cool. I am about to fix my second cup of coffee in the last hour or so. I am planning to visit my fitness center, but after today's excursion maybe I'll just hold off and go tomorrow. It probably depends on what the coffee's caffeine does for me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment