Sunday, September 15, 2013

Up and At 'em

Wow, I cannot believe I am up this early. It's not yet 10:00 AM. I am dressed and have already had my cereal. I am currently sitting here with my morning cup of coffee. Last blog entry I mentioned that I like being immature. In keeping with that crazy thought; I still can't believe I'm a coffee drinker. It sounds so adult. I feel like I ought to be drinking Nestle's Quik or Ovaltine. But I've been drinking coffee since I was about 19 or 20. I don't remember how I got started on it, but I'm hooked on it now. I can't get through a morning without it.

Today I'm going out somewhere and explore the outdoors. I am on the internet trying to figure out where to go, what park or nature preserve I haven't visited in a while. I generally like places that have good foliage, are not too crowded, and have smooth but not paved trails. I prefer a place with some wetland acreage too, but it is not required. I want a smooth trail rather than a rough, bolder-strewn one so I do not have to look down at where I am walking as I am meandering along, I can concentrate on my surroundings. I do not like a paved trail because with a paved trail comes fast-moving bicycles, joggers, and rollerskaters. There's a science to picking the right place with the right kind of trails.

I do not want to drive a long distance either. I generally try to keep the destination of such trips within an hour or so. I might travel a little farther today since it is early and I'm going to be leaving soon. Hopefully I'll return home by 4 or thereabouts so I can make it over to my fitness center for a half hour of torture on the elliptical. A few days ago I wondered; if I could take a pill in place of aerobic exercise, getting all the benefits without the work, would I take the pill in lieu of the physical exercise? My instantaneous answer was an emphatic yes. Unfortunately...

Anyway, time to put on some sunscreen and gather my various articles of clothing and equipment.        


5 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Maudslay State Park up in Newburyport.

    I just slept for 12 hours after getting home from Reach the Beach NH... all I want to do is sleep more, but it's so nice out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been there a few times. For some reason it isn't quite my style park. I think it's because it's kind of a dog walking/picnic park. However I was there with a friend of mine last year when I thought I saw a Mississippi kite. They're pretty rare in New England, and I did not see him well, so I was only about 60% sure... I know; boring nature stuff.

      Delete
    2. There's no boring nature stuff... that's why we enjoy being outside so much!

      Delete
  2. I was up early yesterday morning too. And I was exploring the outdoors. I was playing golf with a couple of friends. I'm pretty bad. If I took golf seriously I would have more fun taking out my 5-iron and instead of hitting the ball, pound myself on the head with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never played real golf, but I was once went to a driving range with a boyfriend. I think I got to hit two golf balls. Unfortunately hitting two balls required about six swings.

    ReplyDelete