Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Clothing, and Making the Right Impression

Shopping for clothes is tricky enough, but shopping for clothes for certain occasions can be downright impossible. I am going out on Friday on what is in actuality a first date with this nice, good-looking guy. When it comes to buying clothes for that evening, one problem is; we are kind of between seasons. Hopefully I can come up with an ensemble that if not actually “between seasons” itself, will be ambiguous to the season it best fits. When all else fails; try to baffle.

The toughest part about buying clothing for such an occasion is presenting the right image, saying the right thing. I want to present a bit of sexiness without it appearing that that is my intention. I want to demonstrate an element of modesty without it seeming that I am a prude. It’s not easy to strike the right note. Yet another factor is that I do not want to overdo it as far as grandiosity. I want to assure Jack that I am at best a middle income girl who is not pretending to be anything else.

When these circumstances arise, I usually first go to the internet and look at photos rather than head out and look at the clothing on the racks. Hopefully I see something that gives me a good idea of what I want. I generally assume I will not find in the stores the exact clothes that I see photographed, but I’ll get a good idea of what I’ll be looking for.

Right now I’m thinking of a mid-length skirt in an earth tone and a somewhat brighter colored sleeveless top. My first notion was to wear boots of some kind, but now that I have given it some more thought, I am leaning towards light, casual shoes. I might as well show a little leg.

I’m going to want to spatter on a bit of perfume too. I do not use perfume very often. I will dab on some when I am anticipating amorous events, and when I going all-out to impress someone of the male gender. Over the years I have been gifted far more perfume than I have used, so I doubt I will be buying any. I have two different fragrances in Armani, I’ll probably chose one or the other. It will be applied with restraint. I will want just a hint of fragrance. Too little scent is better than too much.  

There's a science to all of this, isn't there?        

3 comments:

  1. I spend about an hour or so a year shopping for clothes. Most of that is buying shoes for my oddly shaped feet. LOL I buy something a little formal like a suit or a blazer about once every three years. Those years the amount of time I shop for clothes goes up from about 1 hour a year to 1 and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious; exactly how often do you wear a suit or a blazer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I own a suit anymore. I have a dark blue blazer jacket that I wore to a wedding about six months ago. It just sits in my closet on a hanger. I will have to knock the dust off the shoulders next time I wear it.

    ReplyDelete