Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Call From Jack



I was introduced to a guy on Friday; Jack. Another couple, Jack, and I had a few drinks after work that evening. It was a nice time, no complaints. When I left that night, Jack walked me to my car and then asked if he could call me. I told him he could. In truth, I doubted I would ever hear from him again. In my head I put the odds at 40-60 against.

Anyway, Jack called shortly before 8 this evening. It was the perfect time for him to call. I was about ready to go to my fitness center and I will gladly accept any reason to delay sweating on an elliptical.

We talked for about twenty minutes or so. I admitted to him that on Friday I was intimidated by his good looks. Jack jokingly stated that he was trying to look as presentable as possible and that I will never see him look that attractive again. It was a wonderfully funny, self-effacing thing to say. It made me feel good about him. He calmly said that he is 35 years old and was married, in his words, “for a few minutes”.

Jack asked me about my love of nature and was I really as passionate as he had been led to believe. I informed him that I went to Cornell for two years with the intent of getting into natural resources as a possible career. I also said that I try to visit public forested areas at least a few times a month but I would never do something like tie myself in protest to a tree that was going to be cut. I summed up by saying that I am fairly passionate about nature, but I am not a crazy person. I then jokingly added, “Well, not too crazy.” Jack chuckled, but I sensed that he was a bit relieved by my relative normalcy. I had passed another one of those “feeling out” questions. I stated that I also like pizza, cook-outs, and mini golf, even though I stink at it.

We are going out on Friday. Jack asked me if I had any preferences as to a particular ethnic food. I replied that it did not matter to me since “microwave” is not an ethnicity. When I get too enthusiastic I can become giddy and say silly things. I think we are having Indian food, but I am not in charge of this excursion so that is just a guess.

I must admit that I am genuinely excited, so much so I think that I am going to have to buy something nice to wear for Friday.

I am now headed to the fitness center. An elliptical is there, awaiting my arrival. By the way; unless I fail to keep my big mouth shut, Jack will never know of this blog, especially now that I’ve said several good things about him.        

2 comments:

  1. I was figuring on my chances at about 40-60. I once played a slot machine with worse odds, so I had not totally given up.

    ReplyDelete