Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Fading Love For Football



I don't like getting on my soapbox, but I think this blog entry might qualify as soapboxian. We'll see.

I'm about ready to go out for the rest of the afternoon, but for the last hour or so I have been watching football. I actually watched some college football yesterday in the late afternoon. I get too restless to watch a whole game unless it means something to me personally, but I’ll take-in part of a game even if I do not have a vested interest in either team. However I don’t know how much longer I’ll be willing to do that, I mean; watch football, any football.

The problem is; I don’t like to see injuries. I do not like to see players with body injuries but what really bothers me is when a player gets up after a play and he wobbles off the field due to head trauma. It literally creeps me out. The leaders of the various football organizations are well aware of the problem and are trying to do something about it, but I don’t know, it looks hopeless to me. I started watching football on TV 20 years ago with my father. He got me hooked. I became an avid Patriots fan. But all of that is starting to go away. I remember several years ago my thinking that the game was almost “unplayable” simply because of the ultra-physical nature of the game. That opinion has only become more solidified.

I myself have never been a big participant in sports. I almost played girls’ high school volleyball, but I changed my mind before the season started, and never played. I believe that when a person plays an athletic game, generally speaking it ought to make that person more physically healthy, not less. When it comes to football, it is too often “less”. If ever I have a child, I am going to do everything in my power to keep him, or her, off the football field. He or she could play soccer, or basketball, but not football. The kid would probably hate me for it, but when the kid became an adult I really think he, or she, would love me for it. And I would take that narrative in a second.    

I will not step off the soapbox.  

2 comments:

  1. Kate, it looks like your sensibility is starting to get in the way of you enjoying football. And you might not like this but that last paragraph I thought you sounded a lot like a concerned mother. Please don't hate me for saying that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways I am becoming more conscientious. I'm not sure if I am happy about that or not. As for that last paragraph, and my sounding like a concerned mother; I sort of noticed that myself when I reread it. It's just a little bit scary.

    ReplyDelete