Saturday, September 21, 2013

Slowing Getting Back On the Horse



I think that this is going to be a little bit longer one.

Yesterday morning I was accosted by a co-worker, Beth. She asked me what I was doing after work and I replied that I was going home, have a microwave burrito or two and then for the rest of the evening alternate between playing on the internet, and watching TV. My plans made Beth roll her eyes in mild dismay. She instead suggested that I meet her, her husband, and some other guy at the Brighton Beer Garden. I asked her if this were anything resembling a blind date. Beth paused for a few seconds and then admitted that it was. I immediately and really kind of fervently told her that I wasn’t exactly ready to do anything like socializing in any kind of potentially romantic way. I had been in a relationship that ended about three weeks ago; a fact that Beth was well aware. Anyway, for the next several minutes my friend did everything in her power to convince me that I had to “get back out there”. She actually uttered the much-used, “when you fall off a horse, you have to get right back on” line. I finally relented, figuring it was just one meeting.

His name is Jack. He is amazingly good-looking. He is really almost shockingly good-looking. He has a short, scruffy beard, wavy dark hair, and these handsome, greenish eyes. He is about 6’2”, at least that was my guess. My first thought upon seeing him was; what is wrong with this guy that he has to waste his time meeting an unknown woman? It also occurred to me, at least for a few seconds, that I was the butt of some kind of joke. Jack is that good-looking. To be candid, for a short while I felt uncomfortable simply seated next to him.

I ordered my normal glass of red wine. I was nervous so as soon as it arrived on the table in front of me I started sipping on it. A few minutes later I ordered another. I then politely asked for some nachos.

Jack turned out to be a very nice person and easy to talk to; thank god. But at first I did not have to do much talking. Beth was constantly bringing up my interests. She informed Jack that I was a nature-lover who would “go out into the woods to look at trees and butterflies”, and she said I was also an avid bird watcher. My profile, as revealed by Beth, was both funny and a bit embarrassing. I admitted to Jack that most of what Beth said was fairly accurate, just presented in a rather odd manner.

Jack is an efficiency analyst. When he stated that he is an efficiency analyst, I nervously joked that I would have thought that an efficiency analyst would talk faster and use more contractions in his speech. Everyone thought that was kind of funny. It was actually just nervous, inane chatter that will sometimes pop out of me when I feel anxious. I did not know what an efficiency analyst was until it was explained to me.

Eventually I relaxed and it turned out to be a nice, pleasant few hours. About 8 PM or so I announced that it had been a long day, and that I had better head home. Jack walked me to my car. I told him it was not necessary, but he insisted. There at my car, Jack said that he was glad to have met me and he hoped he could see me again sometime, if I wanted. I told him that would be fine. Jack did not try to kiss me. It might sound silly but I was worried that he might, and I did not know how I would feel about it. It turned out he never made the attempt.

I am not sure I will ever hear from Jack again. I am inclined to doubt it. He is such a handsome guy, and an efficiency analyst too. Meanwhile, I’m a girl who goes out in the woods and looks at birds.        

4 comments:

  1. It's good to get back on that horse. When I got divorced it took my sister to push me up into the saddle. I had lost a little bit of interest as far as dating and so on, and for a little while I liked the freedom. But then with my sister's help I got going again. I have fallen off the horse since, but we did not date for a long time so the fall was not so far. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere in the goofy blog I wrote that I do not know if I could handle losing a long-time love suddenly and unexpectedly. When it comes to falling off the horse, I think something like that could inflict permanent damage. But we always seem willing to climb back on no matter what the potential consequences, and no matter how many times we fall off.

      Delete
  2. Gaurantee you hear from him..

    Great to see that you're back!

    keeping with the efficient theme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His goodbye was hard to read. I do not know if he was just being polite, or if he really meant it. Let's just say that I'm not going to hold my breath.

      Delete