Monday, September 23, 2013

No Tweet Kate



I worked this morning but have taken the afternoon off. I had to take my car in to be serviced. My Prius’s backup camera quit working. For three days I have had to go in reverse the old fashion way; by looking in the rearview mirrors. Anyway, here it is midafternoon and I am now at my blog. I know what I want to write about.

There is a new employee, Shannon, where I work. She is a cute 19 years old girl. She seems to be working out okay. Shannon is on time and puts in a good effort. But I have noticed that whenever she is on break or has a few extra minutes, her smartphone comes out and she starts texting. This morning I told her that I don’t get it, I don’t get the whole thing with constant texting. I told her that I have a few friends who regularly text but I have texted a total of about ten times in my life. I have had this uncomfortable feeling that I am behind the learning curve in this area. We had a brief discussion on the subject.

First; I now believe that I am on the borderline for being too old to have really gotten into the concept of texting from the beginning of its popularity. Consequently it was not a part of my immediate culture as a kid and it never became a habit. Also, unlike Shannon, I do not have a tight group of friends that I feel compelled to stay in constant contact with. I am probably a little too old for that too. Finally, I do not want to spend a lot of money on personal electronic devices. I have a limited income and do not keep up with the latest trends in handheld electronics. I carry a lowly cellphone and nothing more.

I told Shannon that the few times I have tweeted, I have often used more than the 140 character limit, which I find very frustrating. I explained to Shannon that at times I will want to convey a thought or concept that requires far more than 140 characters. Shannon nodded and then unceremonious told me that if I am going to tweet, I would have to “stop doing that”. I found it interesting that she used only three words to solve my dilemma. Of course it did not really solve my dilemma, but it would take more than 140 characters to expound on why. I’ll bet Shannon is just a little too young to appreciate the irony.        

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you've only texted about 10 times in your life. I don't know how you can avoid it in this day and age. Too many people won't even answer their phones now because they're only comfortable texting.. I weep for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have known a few people who will actually text to someone across the room rather than walk a few steps and communicate verbally. At work, there are people who email across an office. Originally it was thought that emailng was good to preserve the information, but now it's gone way beyond that.

      Delete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, in one way texting has taken communication technology back a step since it is more like the telegraph than the telephone. I hope that makes you feel like you are less behind that learning curve? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does make me feel better. My preferred manner of electronic communication has me living in 1978 rather than 1878. I do use a cellphone rather than the old land line phone. That's something, right?

    ReplyDelete