Tuesday, September 17, 2013

In Front Of The TV On a Monday Evening



About six months ago I spent a little bit of money and bought an HD TV. I think it is 42 inches, but I’m not sure about that. I don't remember for sure. I know I looked at a 42 inch HD TV during the buying process. I might have decided to buy something somewhat smaller and just sit closer to the screen. My brain sometimes comes up with slightly twisted logic like that.

Anyhow, last night I settled back and watched Dancing With the Stars. It is a very dangerous for me to do such a thing. I can get hooked on that kind of show and feel compelled to watch every program. I hate the idea of being addicted to a particular TV show, and really, addicted to TV in general.

So yesterday evening I sat alone watching Dancing With the Stars while chomping on buttered popcorn. I do not do commercials regardless of what I am watching. I keep the remote handy and with the first sign of a commercial interruption I will flip to another channel. I’ll watch a few minutes of a Red Sox game, or a bit of a movie, or even a tidbit of old Seinfeld episode, but I will not watch a commercial start to finish. On rare occasions, when I am watching something like Dancing With the Stars, and there is absolutely nothing on another channel that I want to watch during the few minutes of commercial, I’ll actually go into the kitchen and rinse off some dirty dishes or something. I’ve even been known to run the vacuum through a commercial interruption. Sometimes a commercial will gain popularity and become a topic of social conversation. When that happens I am out of luck.

Hopefully yesterday’s plunge into Dancing With the Stars did not get me hooked and it will be my last viewing of the season, or at least for a while. I’m pretty sure that will be the case, after all, I refrained from calling in to cast a vote for my favorite dancing star, although I gave the notion a few scary seconds of genuine consideration.           

2 comments:

  1. I seem to get addicted to one a year. It was House a few years ago. Then it was the Mentalist. I will sometimes watch Person of Interst, but it's not a habit. At least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine is stuck on Person of Interest. I don't know that she particularly likes the show so much as she has a crush on the main actor. I kind of get creeped out with medical shows, but I have watched a few episodes of the Mentalist. He seems kind of weird. Yes, like I'm a fine one to talk.

    ReplyDelete