Monday, September 16, 2013

Drinking On the Job... Well, Sort Of

I went out to lunch today with a coworker. I usually go to my apartment for lunch but when asked if I'd like to go to lunch at a little Italian restaurant, the idea of a sub sandwich suddenly wet my appetite. We left work before noon so we would be sure to get a booth.

Anyway, my coworker ordered a glass of beer as a lunchtime drink. I do not like the idea of drinking alcohol during work hours, or even during the middle of the day, but a glass of red wine sounded pretty good alongside a submarine sandwich. I have never consumed an alcoholic beverage during working hours. I must admit that I felt both a bit guilty for drinking that early in the day, and somewhat concerned for returning to work slightly under the influence. Now many hours later, I can see there was never any reason to worry. No one noticed. In fact, by mid afternoon I had forgotten all about the glass of wine.

Oddly, as I write this entry into my goofball blog, I remember once having a beer during lunch while in high school. Come to think of it, it might have been pretty near exactly eleven years ago. I recall a fellow student had a six pack in his car and a couple of  us partook in some noontime beverages. We hunched down behind the car in the parking lot, out of sight of the school windows, and gulped warm beer. I was not a particularly unruly student by any stretch of the imagination, but for a few minutes I felt like a real rebel.

6 comments:

  1. Warm cheap beer... oh, I don't miss high school. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your high school experience is almost a right of passage. Mine came early in the morning before school, and I think it was malt liquor. I'm pretty sure it was almost right out of someone refrigerator because it was cold. There's nothing quite like being 17 and sitting in a history class with a malt liquor buzz. What fond memories. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, pleeeeease forgive my curiosity but does the typical cement mason carry a lunchbox?

      Delete
    2. I’ve been carrying the same lunch box since about 2000 when I first started working at construction sites. It just seems easier to carry a lunch than going off to a McD or someplace. Probably healthier too. I do not need to gain any more weight. It is an old fashion metal lunch box. Some of the guys carry these insulated lunch bags. To me they look like something a woman would carry pies in to a family picnic.

      Delete
    3. I have one of those cloth bags. I did not realize it was insulated, nor did I realize it was really a lunchbox. I got it for having good work attendance a year or so ago. I have used it on rare occasion when I go out somewhere away from things and I want to carry along a drink and snack.

      Delete
  3. I carried a lunchbox to school when I was in elementary school. It had some kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark theme to it. My mother always put in a banana. I ate a lot of bananas. LOL

    ReplyDelete