Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Road Rage... ARRGGHHH!



I was driving to my apartment for lunch just after 12 noon today when some guy came speeding right up behind me. He got so close that while looking through my rearview mirror I could not see his headlights below the bottom of my Prius’s back window. For about a half mile he stayed that close. Finally we came to a turning lane along the right side of the highway. As soon as the curb curved to the right creating the turning lane, I began my move into the lane. Apparently the guy behind me thought that he could put his foot on the gas and accelerate by me into the turning lane because I was about halfway into the lane when I heard a honk coming from behind- and not too far behind, either.

Suddenly I was irritated. With my hand I angrily motion to the guy behind me to back off. He threw up his hands in irritation and stayed right behind me. I should state that I was going the speed limit and there were several cars in the lane in front of me through the whole ordeal.

Anyway, as soon as we turned, there was a second lane going our direction, allowing the guy to hurriedly buzz up beside me. As soon as he pulled alongside, I gave him the finger. That’s right; the finger. He frantically lowered his passenger-side window, and angrily shouted at me that I needed to use my turn signal before I reach the lane I was entering. To his credit, I don’t recall his calling me any derogatory names. As I said, I was angry, so my response to his suggestion was to wail, “Jam it up your ass, dipshit!” I remember my exact words. It is a sentence I'm sure I have never spoken until that moment.

The man shook his fist at me then sped off, after all, he was clearly in a hurry. I watched him as he dodged through the traffic up ahead for a block or two before turning and going off in another direction.

I have been irritated by other drivers before but never to the point of taking any kind of action. I have had various passengers in my car who have wanted to openly express their displeasure at other motorists, but I have always been able to rein them in. I am not a road rage person, well, at least not until today.

I do not know what I would have done had the man decided to take some reciprocal action, perhaps followed me or something. It would have been interesting. Anyway, hopefully it is a one-time thing and not a trend in my behavior pattern. I don’t think it is because now, hours later, I am able to giggle about it.              

No comments:

Post a Comment