Monday, August 19, 2013

A Farewell To My Tiny, Winged Friends of Summer



My hummingbird feeder actually brought on a philosophical moment this morning. I was looking at it from my window and I realized that the end of summer is nearing. Autumn is on the horizon. The spring flowers have long since disappeared. The columbine, found in the spring growing along damp rock faces, is long gone now. Looking back, my hummingbird feeder went through much of the summer with one regular visitor. As is the case with hummingbirds and their territorial instincts, she staked out the feeder as her own and would chase away any hummingbird poachers that would come along in search of sustenance. When I would briefly take down the feeder, bring it inside, wash it out, and resupply it with fresh food, she would wait anxiously on a nearby wire or branch for its return. When I would rehang it and take a few steps away, she'd come zooming in to make an inspection.

Then about a month ago she disappeared. If she were taken by a hungry kestrel, it would be the natural order of things, if she were the victim of a moving car, well, that’s not so natural. Either way, an unclaimed hummingbird feeder means opportunity for a lucky hummingbird on the prowl. A week or so after the disappearance of my first, regular hummingbird guest, a second female hummingbird became my feeder’s sole proprietor. This bird was a little more ragged and battle-worn when compared to the first hummer, but she was just as territorial. Any outside hummingbird that approached my feeder had a tiny, winged challenger to combat.     

It is now past the middle of August. It is just about time for hummingbirds to migrate. One day soon my little, green-feathered friend will disappear, probably never to return, not even in the spring; at least not to my feeder. Still, I will keep my feeder up at least a few months longer. It will act as a way station for hummingbirds migrating from farther north. They will see the red, plastic feeder and stop off for an hour or so and replenish before moving on.

It is possible that in late September or October, when it is chilly and the leaves are falling, some old, tired hummingbird will find my feeder and decide that it is where he will spend his final days of life. Sometimes hummers will do that when they are old and can go no farther. The feeder will be their own, personal hospice. I figure that providing such a service is the least I can offer to my pint-sized friends of summer.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I got to following your blog a few weeks ago 2nd hand from a coworker who happened to see your profile on a dating website. I have been coming to your blog almost every day since. I have intentionally read only two or three of your posts a day to sort of draw it out a little. I can understand and see how this blog is like your diary which is how you are treating it. All of it is at least a little bit personal with some more personal than others. You clearly admire your parents especially your father. Also, it is good to see how at least one woman thinks because there are plenty of times when I do not think I have a clue on how ANY of them think. :)

    I just read your last post which is about your hummingbird feeder, and your first post was about your hummingbird feeder too. So you have kind of gone full circle on that just as I have come up to date on your whole blog. Anyway, I just want you to know that there is someone out here enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An extra comment. When I first started reading your blog I became inspired and tried to write a blog myself but I did not do much more than look at a blank screen for a few minutes before giving up. I just don't think anyone is going to be too interested in cement masonry, and my fishing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of view this blog as a diary but I am constantly torn as to whether I really want to put intimate things in it. Someday I probably won't. It could be that I am even now putting less amorous stuff in it. And the day is coming when I will probably give the blog up entirely.

      As for writing your blog; I sometimes write about the most boring stuff (did someone say "hummingbird feeders"?). But I throw in my own thoughts, etc., and before I know it, I've got three paragraphs.

      Delete
    2. Hey Marty - to get into the habit of writing, I recommend http://750words.com .. it's a great place to start!

      Delete