Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Katie Could Have a Very Good Year


About 11 o’clock this morning Marty left my apartment, primarily to go to his apartment and watch football on TV with one or more of his friends. I, on the other hand, had decided to go to my fitness center and start the year off getting some aerobic exercise.

Well, about noontime I put on my exercise clothes, filled my squirt bottle, and climbed into my car to go. Unfortunately my car was dead. It barely made a noise when I tried to start it. The car’s overhead light was very dim. As I sat in the driver’s seat of my inert car, I decided to call Marty. He was very good about my intrusion. He took it lightheartedly, and more importantly, he said he would come right over.

I climbed out of my car and went back into my apartment. Ten minutes later Marty arrived. I apologized for being a nuisance but he snickered and said no apology was necessary. He then asked for my car keys. I asked him if I could be of any help and he said that I might as well stay inside where it is warm. I did not argue. I stepped back inside and turned on my TV to nothing in particular. Every once in a while I would glance out to see what Marty was doing. There was about a fifteen minute period when he was gone and so was his car. My car sat alone with its hood lowered but not latched.

Anyway, somewhere around an hour after I first got into my car to go to the fitness center, Marty came inside, handed me my keys and told me I was ready to go. He informed me my battery had died but he had installed a new one so I ought to be good for the next five or six years, assuming I own the car that long. I asked Marty how much the battery cost and he told me not to worry about it. I then insisted I pay him in some manner and he simply shook his head and repeated, “Don’t worry about it”. He then said goodbye, and that he would talk to me later. He gave me a kiss and vanished out the door. I made it to my fitness center, albeit an hour later than I intended.

As I was sweating on the elliptical I became ever more cognizant that at least for me, having the right guy in my life is a great thing. Marty can make me feel good when I’m a little down, warm me in bed, and without a grumble he will fix many of the little daily annoyances I encounter. This could be a very good year.      

No comments:

Post a Comment