Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Dumb Girl


Marty, my boyfriend, had to leave my apartment at 7 AM this morning to go to work, so I was up early. With nothing better to do, I decided to throw in this entry. It actually kind of began yesterday. Yesterday at work I overheard two fellow employees -two guys- talking about the Patriots-Broncos game to be played this weekend. For a while I just went about my business and listened, but finally I felt compelled to turn around and put in my two cents. For a few seconds they listened, then I was essentially mocked and dismissed as the “dumb girl”. Naturally I became angry.

When it comes to sports, I’m not exactly the “dumb girl”. Thanks to my dad, I was weaned on sports. Sometimes Marty and I will spend an evening watching the Boston Bruins or the Celtics on TV. Marty has discovered that despite the fact that I am female, I actually concentrate on the televised games. He also knows that I will not trek off to refill empty glasses, or pop popcorn until there is a break in the action. He learned that the hard way the first time we watched a Bruins game together at my apartment.

Anyway, I am now going to show my two coworkers (or really, any blog reader) that I am not just some ordinary sports-ignorant girl. I am going to give game synopses along with predictions of the Boston teams games to be played this weekend. I may not be 100% correct in my predictions, but it won’t be because I’m a dumb girl. 

Broncos vs Patriots

Personally, I like every aspect of the Broncos. The rumor about Manning not being a playoff quarterback is a load of hooey. The Broncos are equal or better than the Patriots in every area on the field, including quarterback. The one thing about my last statement that might, in the end, be the most pertinent is that Bill Belichick stands off the field, on the sideline, and I think he is capable of coming up with a winning formula. I think that winning formula might include the Pats battering the Broncos with running backs. If only the Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski were available; but alas.

Katie says; I am going to lean towards the favorite, Denver, in this one. Despite good defenses, I’m looking for a high scoring game with the Broncos unfortunately coming away with it 35-31.

Bruins vs Blackhawks

It’s a big game. NBC is broadcasting it nationwide as their Game of the Week. Both the Hawks and the Bruins have been playing at a high level this year. Both teams have been relatively free of injury to their top players. Consequently, I look for a close, tough game. My one area of concern is that the Bruins have not had a particularly good January, but this is the Blackhawks so I’m thinking the Bruins will be up for this one. Another factor is that the Bruins have to play on the Hawk’s ice; however, the Bruins are playing with an extra day of rest. I think the game will be so close that when the 3rd period ends, one goalie or the other will be off the ice for an extra attacker.

Since I believe that playing on an extra day’s rest pays more dividends than home ice, I like the Bruins chances. It would be better if the Blackhawks had played the day before instead of two days before, but it is an early afternoon game so I think it will still be a factor.

Katie says; few shots on goal, hard-fought, Bruins 3-2.

Celtics vs Magic

The Celtics are going to Orlando to play the Magic on Sunday. Given the two teams rosters, and the way they have played in the last two weeks, it is possible that both teams will lose. Both teams are so woeful that my first impulse is to say that it will be a poorly played, low-scoring game, but the fact is; both squads are also woeful on defense. Orlando is on a 9 game losing streak. Do they give it their all in hopes of beating a weak sister, or does the losing streak make them play uninspired basketball?


Katie says; Celtics win 98-90.    

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Can I take you to Vegas? We'll lay some bets and split 50-50. Has anyone given you your props for being so close in each prediction? The Pats v. Broncos you called right and were off by just a few points for the Broncs (I thought the Patriots would put up some more points also), you had the scores right but reversed for the Blackhawks v. Bruins, and you were just shy of calling the Celtics v. Magic spot on!

    Seriously... let's go to Vegas! Well done. I wish there was a way for you to rub this in your co-workers' faces without seeming childish. Maybe have another one of your co-workers do it for you and you just play it cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read your next post when I wrote my comment... haha.

    ReplyDelete