Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Reluctant Return To Sweating


I’d been back from our Las Vegas trip for a several days when yesterday I finally decided to visit my fitness center. My unwillingness to get back on an elliptical had me worried. I ought to be more resolute than that.

Anyway, the Las Vegas trip caused me to gain four pounds. I did not get on a scale the entire trip so I was actually relieved that my weight gain was relatively minimal. On the trip it seemed like I ate a steady diet of bacon and pancake breakfasts, and Mexican food for lunch and dinner. I had my share of wines and daiquiris too. And there was nothing in the form of exercise except for some relatively short hikes, and some romantic workouts.

Yesterday I started out on the elliptical sort of gradually but then worked up to my normal sweaty ending. I guess I will have to admit that I felt better for doing it. If I did not feel better physically, I at least felt relieved that I did it. Just to show my commitment, I’m going to try to go again in about 30 minutes.

There really aren’t many women at this fitness center who achieve perspiration in their workouts. A number of women do nothing more than walk on the treadmills. There is this class of about six women who do light calisthenics with a trainer. I’m more into aerobic stuff, which generally means perspiring. But I have to admit; sometimes when sweat is running down my face I feel a little embarrassed.

While I’m thinking about it; yesterday I was sitting by the fitness center door waiting to cool off before going outside, when I noticed an attractive girl coming towards the glass door from outside. I'd say she was about 20. Just a few seconds before she reached the door, a guy exited and held the door for her. She walked right in without saying a word of appreciation. Not so much as a nod. It was as though the guy was not there and the door opened automatically for her. I have to say that I was a little creeped out by the blatant impudence. On the other hand, I have seen similar behavior at my various fitness centers, and some of the people weren't all that attractive. As I have hinted at before in this wacky blog; fitness centers do not seem to be bastions of social etiquette.  

No comments:

Post a Comment