Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Meeting the Ex, and a Sober Evening

Here it is New Year’s Eve and I am still thinking about my visit with my boyfriend, Marty, to his ex-wife, Sharon. I was kind of dreading it the preceding two or three days. It is just too “adult” for me, or excessively mature; something like that. I had to do it. On occasion I will be spending time with Sharon and Marty’s 11 year-old daughter, Melissa, and it is understandable that Sharon meet me.

Anyway, Marty and I drove over to her house for the get-together Sunday. From the beginning, Sharon was polite but not overly friendly. When she first saw me she clearly had no desire to hug me. She kind of gave me a little bit of a looking-over and then invited Marty and me in. I think she might have been more receptive to me had I been six or eight years older, or maybe 30 pounds heavier, or perhaps in need of dental work, or preferably, all three. But on the other hand, she did not say anything rude, and even offered to prepare some coffee or tea.

I tried to convey to Sharon that I am a responsible adult, more or less, and Melissa would be in good hands if she were in my care. Also, I would not put any wrong thoughts into her head. I have actually pondered my future relationship with Melissa and I have concluded that though I am an atheist, I would not hinder any religious beliefs given to her, nor would I speak of my views on sex, morality, etc. In other words; I would be nothing more than a short-term caretaker. 

Anyway, tonight Marty and I are going out to dinner, and then we are making our way to one of his friend’s house for a party. Marty is going to be carrying a $60 bottle of cognac he received as a thank you gift a few weeks ago for installing some kitchen cabinets or something. It looks like I am going to be the designated driver, restricted to one glass of red wine. That's okay; the Bruins are playing this evening and I'm sure I'll find a TV and assorted munchies.           

1 comment: