Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Another Barrier Broken

Yesterday my boyfriend, Marty, was scheduled to have a night out with one of his friends. But late in the afternoon the friend started developing flu symptoms and so they decided to call off the evening's fun. About fifteen minutes later, or about 7:30, Marty knocked on my door. As is my practice, before opening the door, I looked through the peek hole. There he was.

In the past, when guys I have been dating have come by my apartment unannounced and unexpected, I have generally been just a tiny bit miffed. When I say a "tiny bit", it is almost microscopic, but it is there. I can notice it. Yesterday when I looked through my peek hole and saw Marty, I happily chirped, "It's Marty."  I quickly pulled open the door.

It's funny, I did not even think about that brief moment, and its meaning, until today. This morning it dawned on me that Marty had broken through this little "Katie barrier". I have dated a few guys in my life and not many have achieved this dubious status. Marty is about #3. Dan, a recent boyfriend, never got there.

Marty could not stay overnight. He did not expect to come over and so he did not have any of his work clothes with him. Marty doesn't keep any clothes at my apartment. I'm thinking that might have to change. It might be smart that he keep some various clothing at my place, at least some work clothes, just to make it easier on us.

The next step beyond the clothes is us moving in together. I am very hesitant to take that step. Marty is a great guy and I think he likes me a lot, but no matter who the two people are, moving in together changes the entire dynamic of a relationship. Marty and I could be jeopardizing the good thing we have now. I am not a person who thinks that marriage, or even cohabitation, is mandatory. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the idea of two compatible people living together, it's just that I think it is very possible to have separate living accommodations and with a little give-and-take, maintain a very satisfying, long-term relationship. I don't know; maybe it's my nuttiness getting the best of me. 

Anyway, all of that is still a long way down the road. As of now, my apartment does even have so much as a pair of Marty's socks.            

1 comment:

  1. Its only been a couple months hasn't it?? You shouldn't even be thinking about moving in yet! Moving in can make, or COMPLETELY break a relationship, especially if you make the move too soon. Take your time! Trust me!

    ReplyDelete