Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Atheist and Her Thoughts On Christmas

This is my blog so I'm going to take a few minutes to jabber about my views on Christmas. I'll give fair warning that I am an atheist, and that fact is reflected in this entry.

It is Christmas Eve and I have to admit that I am a bit of a Scrooge. I’m a Scrooge really only in the religious aspects of the holiday. See, I am an atheist and I don’t think any of the alleged Biblical Christmas occurrences actually took place. There were no wise men. There were no kings, at least not visiting any manger in Bethlehem. It is very possible that there was a Jesus, but it is unlikely that he was born in a manger. It is even more unlikely that he was born to a virgin. In most religions, virgin women are highly prized. They are thought of as pure and unsullied. That mentality still exists in religions today, and ironically, I actually find that thinking to be a bit offensive. There is no logical reason for sex to be considered immoral, assuming the participants are adults. Adultery is immoral, but not because of the sexual activity, but because of the cheating, the violation of a vow. Point is; there is a reason why Jesus has to be born to a virgin, and its not because he actually was.

Fortunately my Scrooge mentality ends there. When I go to Christmas activities I do not let on that I am an atheist and therefore disbelieve. Outside of this wacky blog, I do not lecture, even when I am subjected to flowery religious pronouncements. When there is some kind of group prayer, I bow my head. I like Christmas carols, and the various movies and humanistic stories associated with Christmas. Of course I like giving presents, and as I will now unabashedly admit, I like receiving gifts too.

In about 10 hours I will participate in a relatively new personal tradition; I will go with my mother to a Christmas Eve candlelight church service. My mother, who is moderately religious, likes to attend, and she needs someone to go with her and to be honest, I don’t really mind. In some strange way I find it rather enjoyable, even if what’s being celebrated never really happened.

Finally, to anyone who ignored the initial warning and has just had the misfortune of reading this blog entry; I would like to wish you a very merry Christmas.        

1 comment:

  1. I take my mom to the 4pm mass every Xmas Eve. She knows I'm a non-believer. I still love Christmas since I love giving gifts and the family stuff. I love the traditions. I love the films. I love the music (well, a lot of it). Christmas has become a secular holiday. I don't know any other Atheists/Agnostics that DO NOT celebrate and enjoy the Christmas season.
    Hell, I just made another Christmas album with 3 other non-believers ... download it free: http://OneBentChristmas.com

    ReplyDelete