Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Ordinary Living



I have just read a few of the older entries into this idiotic blog, and one thing seems painfully clear; I lead an ordinary life. I have the urge to call it humdrum, but I’ll stick with ordinary. I’ve always considered myself a little bit quirky, but my life is pretty typical. I’m reminded of a girlfriend I knew in high school who decided she should write her memoirs only to discover that she was 18 years old and had no memoirs.

I’ll bet there are 10,000 personal blogs on the internet that are pretty much exactly like mine. I try to make mine sound exciting, but it’s really just regular, everyday stuff. Who in their right mind would care about one of my avian sightings on a bird watching trip, or my past crushes on the opposite sex, or my accidentally hitting a squirrel with my car? There are a lot of exciting activities I can think of but the trouble is; I don’t want to do them. For example; I do not want to ski. It’s the fear of injury and even death that makes me avoid ski slopes.

In fact, all sports are out of the question. I stink at every sport I have ever tried. I’m so uncoordinated I can barely ride a bike. The only thing that would make my participation in sports exciting is the tantrums I would throw from the unmitigated frustration.

Most of the exciting activities I would want to do are activities that take a lot of money. I might like to travel the world, but who would foot the bill? But wouldn’t it be great; a blog entry from Hawaii, then another a few days later from Himeji, Japan, and yet a third blog entry the following week from Wellington, New Zealand? I could write in my blog that the water actually spins down the drain backwards south of the Equator. Water swirling down a drain; now that’s the making of an exciting blog. 

3 comments:

  1. Not sure what you're talking about with 'ordinary'... you reveal so much more than 99.9% of other bloggers... you should brand yourself, buy a domain and monetize the site. Also, one of the benefits of having a popular blog (it would take time) is that you can travel, essentially, for free. Trips are business expenses. I do internet marketing for a living, so I'm not bullshitting you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordinary?! No way. Most people, in my experience, go through life without noticing the little things. The really valuable moments. I've been reading your blog for a few months now and can tell you that I absolutely love the way you describe little moments. And for someone to be so open about how they perceive little moments... that's the stuff of greatness. Just ask Richard Pryor (he's just the first to come to mind about achieving greatness by being extraordinarily honest).

    Ordinary? Poppycock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way... thank you for continuing to write this "goofy blog" as you often call it.

    ReplyDelete