Thursday, November 21, 2013

From Marty's Girl, Spec



Okay, so Marty has read past blog entries and so it wasn’t totally his idea, still, I am happy I’ve got my nickname; the title of endearment to be used exclusively by Marty. The nickname is “Spec”.

Its genesis began a few days before my birthday. Sometime about then Marty referred to my birthday as my “special day”. On my birthday this evolved into my being called “Special K”. Apparently Special K is too long a name for anyone to use so Marty decided to shortened it. He first tried simply “K”, but after a short trial he thought “K” sounded not only too much like a real female name, but a female name other than my own. That evening he christened me “Special”. But I guess “Special” is still too long and is not suitable to quickly summon my attention when needed because “Spec” (pronounced speck) has been the moniker used.

Spec has been employed for several days now and is becoming a name of habit in Marty’s usage. In fact, I called him earlier today and said “Hi, this is Katie”, and he replied “who?” For a few seconds I was confused. Then I giggled and stated I was Spec. Of course he then knew immediately I was the caller.

As I said in a previous blog entry; I like having an affectionate nickname. And I am glad this one is unique.  

No comments:

Post a Comment