Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Wonderful Birthday With a Dash of Oddness

Yesterday was my birthday. I certainly can't complain about it but it turned out to have a little bit of what I'll call "amiable strangeness" to it.

It began in a normal enough way. My mom called me at 9 in the morning and demanded that I come over later in the day. Truth is, I would have gone over to their house anyway. Certainly my mom and dad would want to see their only child on her 28th birthday. Thank god they did not make a big deal out of it. My mother baked a small cake and the three of us had a slice apiece. They bought me this very nice silky white blouse as a gift. In fact, I had no cause to ask for the receipt. I will actually wear it and have absolutely no reason to return it. Good job Mom!  

A little later I watched some college football with my father. I got back to my place about 4pm or so. Not too much later I got a call from Mike, my only actual long-term (like, years) boyfriend. I have not heard from him in almost two years. Needless to say, I was very surprised to hear his voice. In fact, it was almost spooky. We had a fifteen minute conversation, or thereabouts. It was very pleasant. He asked me what I was doing, and I ask him the same. He is now living in Ohio. We even exchanged a few silly memories from our days together. I hate to admit it, but through the entire fifteen minutes I had this fear that he was going to ask something of me. Somewhere in the back of my head were a couple of possibilities, possibilities such as him wanting to visit me, or even him suggesting that we try again and start anew. But he never did any of those things. He simply wanted to give me a call and wish me a happy birthday. 

Last night Marty took me out to dinner at an Asian restaurant, the Golden Temple. Great food. After we ordered, Marty gave me my birthday present. It came in a small, flip-top box. It was this beautiful set of blue quartz earrings. I do not know how much they cost. I was, and still am a little afraid to ask. But I love them, so maybe they will be worth the price.

During dinner I told Marty of the call from Mike. I think I described the call as sociable and I admitted that it did seem a little bit weird, at least initially. Marty asked me if it was in any way traumatic for me, hearing from an old boyfriend. I thought about it for a second and then said that no, just a bit surreal. Marty is not the kind of guy to feel romantic jealousy as far as our relationship is concerned. It's not in his nature and besides, I let him know beyond any doubt that as far as I'm concerned, he's the guy.     

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Even with the unexpected sounds like it was an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I need to say that I wore the new white blouse into work and immediately (well, not immediately, but on Monday before noon) got a small but fatal ink stain on it. Grrrr.

      Delete