Monday, February 2, 2015

The Super Bowl

I am something of a football fan. I have lost some of my love as a spectator due to the injuries caused by the game, and the subsequent long-term damage; specifically long-term cognitive damage. Still, I can put that criticism aside and enjoy a game.

My father has been a Patriot fan since they were the Boston Patriots. He got me started on the game in general, and the Pats in particular. The first Patriot quarterback I remember watching was Steve Grogan. He retired in 1990 when I was five. I have never been to a Pats game but these days I would probably just as soon watch them on HD television from the comfort of my home, or someone else's home.

Last night I watched the game from the comfort of someone else's home. My boyfriend Terry, and I, were invited to his friend's house for the game, and the accompanying party. I spent the evening fighting (in spirit) for the Pats while sipping Knob Creek bourbon and eating pizza rolls and the occasional mini burrito.

The game was all but over when with seconds left in the game, the Seahawk quarterback threw an ill-advised interception from the one yard line, ending any chance of what looked like a sure touchdown, and win, for the Seahawks.

Despite the fact that the decision to pass handed the Patriots the victory, many of the pro-Patriot viewers surrounding me were astounded at the stupidity of the Seahawk play call. Still, the call could have been worse. In fact, some slightly intoxicated female Patriots fan was heard saying, "Passing the ball in that situation might have been idiotic, but at least they didn't punt."

She really was just joking, but still; perhaps a little too much bourbon for that lady.

Okay, back to work.

1 comment:

  1. The Hawks were lucky to even have a shot at the end zone after that circus catch.

    ReplyDelete