Thursday, February 19, 2015

Bald Guys With Misplaced Anguish


There is a guy I work with who almost accidentally admitted to using Rogaine. Rogaine is an anti-balding medication. The guy is nice enough looking. It seems kind of too bad that he should be worried about baldness. For some reason a lot of men are self-conscious about their baldness. Actually, when guys become actual men and leave boyhood behind, somewhere in their late 20s, too much hair can actually look more odd than does some modest hair loss.

Personally, I don't care if a guy I am interested in is bald or not. I wish I could say that I don't care at all what some perspective guy looks like but unfortunately I'm not that open-minded. I care, it's just baldness is not on the list of negatives.

I have thought about such matters on occasion when it comes to men's physical appearance: what are my guidelines? There is a theoretical line that is in my head and if a guy does not meet that line, then I probably could never get serious about him in a romantic sort of way. The line is not really very high, after all, I'm not exactly Miss Massachusetts, and I'm a goofball. I think the guy would have to be over five feet tall. He would probably have to be under three hundred pounds. He would have to be free of body odor (okay, that's not technically relevant to "appearance"). He would probably have to have all of his front teeth, be the teeth natural or manufactured. Baldness is not on the list, it is not an issue. I would rather the guy be bald than wear a toupee.

My boyfriend, Terry, has thinning hair. He will jokingly say that he no longer has to spend a lot of time using a comb. A bottle of shampoo can last years. He has told me he has to wear a hat on sunny days or endure sunburn on top of his head. He mentioned a hat as a solution, not Rogaine. That's okay with me. In fact, that's how I prefer it.


1 comment:

  1. "I'm not exactly Miss Massachusetts, and I'm a goofball." Oh come on, you're gorgeous and any guy would see "goofball" as a positive.

    ReplyDelete