Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I Need a Winter Break


I actually like winters in the Boston area. I like nestling on the sofa in front of the TV with heavy socks on my feet and a cup of hot chocolate, or more likely, a glass of wine in my hand. I like going out in the snow too. I get bundled up like an undersized bear and go out plodding on an evening walk through the falling snowflakes. A walk in the winter is generally more invigorating than a walk in the summer. I try not to let winter weather slow me down. I still want to go places and do things.

However, I must admit that I am now officially tired of the winter of 2014-2015. I'm tired of trying to drive down treacherous roads and highways that are choked with snow and glistening with ice. I have grown weary of putting on layers upon layers of clothing just to go out and dig my car out of a mountain of snow. Enough is enough, I'm ready for a change. I sometimes wonder if I'll forget what it is like to dash outside to the mailbox on a warm, sunny day wearing shorts and a sleeveless top. I know I'm ready for a change when I reflect upon such ordinary things with fondness.

I'm not asking for much. At this point I'd settle for three or four days of high temperatures in the 40s. I don't necessarily need spring to appear tomorrow, just give me a little break from this arctic winter. Just for a day or so I would like to see a plot of grassy earth rather than have the entire landscape snow-covered. Just for a day or so. That should hold me until sometime in March.  

No comments:

Post a Comment