Monday, December 8, 2014

Katie the Boozer


I have recently been partaking in hard liquor, bourbon in particular. It has just been on a few occasions and I have never gotten drunk. I have gotten a little bit tipsy. This sudden fondness for spirits, if fondness is what it is, is due entirely to the company I've been keeping the last few weeks. Terry has a favorite bourbon; Knob Creek. A few evenings ago we were out and at his suggestion, I decided to try a glass of bourbon in lieu of my normal glass of wine.

Before I took my first taste, Terry instructed me on how to drink it. He told me to begin by just taking about a thimble full and allow it to wander around inside my mouth for a moment before allowing it to trickle down my throat. He said that is how you appreciate a good bourbon, scotch, rum or most other quality liquors. I did as instructed. It produced a rather nice, warm, oral sensation, not exactly a "taste" but more of an agreeable tingle, along with a pleasant aroma.

Terry said that a person either appreciates a good liquor, or he doesn't. He emphasized that it is not something everyone enjoys and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. It is a matter of preference. I have to say that I appreciated it. Of course at the time I was kind of dressed up, and just sitting in a somewhat dusky tavern holding a glass of bourbon made me feel like one of those sophisticated Bond girls from movies. Okay, I'm not exactly a Bond girl, but that's okay; Terry is not exactly Mr. Bond.

He is coming by in a little while and so I made a side trip after work and bought a bottle of Knob Creek. It was actually kind of pricey but that's okay; I bought it for both him and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment