Friday, December 12, 2014

Giving To Myself


I give money away. I know why I do it. I've known for a long time even though I don't like to think about it. I give money away because it makes me feel good. If giving money did not make me feel good, I would not do it. I'd keep my $100 a month or so that I give. My motives are purely selfish. Here's something else; I would never give so much money away that it would compromise my lifestyle. I have limits, selfish limits.

I will often give when I see photos or videos of malnourished kids or starving animals. The worse off the child or animal, the better it makes me feel to give. If there were a text-only appeal for money to go to millions of people needing medical supplies in India, I doubt I would give. Add a couple of graphic pictures, and I will get out my credit card. The photos will make me feel better about giving.

A few days ago I gave $50 to my alma mater, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. I did some birding the other day and saw a shore bird that I could not identify. So I went to the internet to try to figure it out. A banner came up on the internet page asking for donations to the Cornell Lab or Ornithology. There were images of birds. It worked; I gave.

Mostly I give to environmental causes. Nothing brightens my day like giving $25 to the Wildlife Conservation Society. It better brighten my day, or I'm keeping the money.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you make donations to charities - I'm on the board of directors for Alternative House, a domestic violence agency based in Lowell - If you're ever looking for another cause to give to... http://www.alternative-house.org/

    We also have a "wishlist" on the site of items that our residents are always in need of.

    Thanks, Katie!

    ReplyDelete