Monday, November 17, 2014

A Fool For a Sense of Humor

I have not had much of a love life lately. Let me be more succinct; I have not had a love life lately. This has been largely due to a bout with depression/anxiety. I simply have not felt like being sociable. I have spent time working, visiting the fitness center, wandering the internet, and watching TV, specifically Boston Bruin games, classic movies, and the news.  My libdo has been largely intact but when a person does not feel sociable, that libido doesn't go very far.

I have been feeling better lately. I started out several months ago going to a therapist a few times a week. As the months have gone by I have slowly felt better and have visited my therapist less and less frequently. Following a visit today, my next visit with a therapist is tenatively scheduled for the middle of December. That can be cancelled, depending on how I feel.

A few days ago I briefly spoke with a guy at my fitness center. He was standing at the exit looking out through the glass door, contemplating his trek to his car through a cold rain. As I stood a few feet away, I began searching for my car keys in various pockets. Out of nowhere he mumbled, "This wild weather is supposedly a result of a vortex. A vortex? I thought that my athletic gear was made of vortex."

Apprently I have been out of circulation longer than I realized because I instantly dissovled into hysterics. To be fair, his comedic timing was spot-on; at least I thought so.

The fates must be on my side because yesterday the same guy was on an ellyptical, and as it turned out, he was on the ellyptical right next to the one I decided to use (okay, my using that particular ellyptical may not have been a coincidence). I said hello to him and he gave a brief glance my way, then realizing who I was, returned the glance, allowing it to remain. An instant later came the smile I hoped would follow. I jokingly told him that I was wearing fitness gear made of vortex. His smile became a grin as we continued to pedal our ellypticals. He then told me, off-handedly, that he is a fan of Groucho Marx. Without missing a beat I replied, "one moring I shot an elephant in my pajamas... how he got in my pajamas I'll never know."

Obviously I have watched a lot of classic movies these months.Too many, considering I know Groucho Marx dialogue. But this Friday evening might be different. I just finished a two hour telephone conversation with a funny, nice guy. It seems that Friday I will be socializing.        
   

3 comments:

  1. Not every girl knows a Groucho quip. I pratically grew up watching Seinfeld. I know a lot of the lines before they are even spoken. I live an exicitng life...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay,to be honest, my parents knew I wasn't felling well there for a time and now and then one or both would visit to keep me company. About six weeks ago my father came over to visit. I can't remember if he had a CD or we watched it on regular TV, but when Groucho Marx recited that line about "shooting an elephant in my pajamas", my dad stopped the movie to tell me that it was one of the best-known comedy lines in movie history. He replayed it a couple of times supposedly for my benefit. To tell you the truth, I don't even remember the name of the movie, but I couldn't hardly forget the line.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, gym dating is risky (as you know all too well, haha), but I'm glad you're feeling better and getting back out there.

    ReplyDelete