Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Katie And The House Wren



I took a walk through this lightly wooded field yesterday just to get out on a nice day. I never wear headphones outdoors and here is a good reason why I don’t; pretty quickly after leaving the streetside walkway, headed into the field, I heard the sound of a trilling, male, house wren. I stood there listening to the bird, trying to locate him through the leaves of the low branches of a nearby tree. I could not find him, but I kept hearing his call. As I have said in other blog entries, I’m a nature person. I not only can identify the song of a house wren, but I know its motive. In essence the little guy was beckoning for the interest of a house wren of the opposite sex. It’s that time of year and he had the yearning for a female companion.

I am a human but I sympathize with the wren’s situation. I too have this yearning for a companion of the opposite sex. I’d like for him to be handsome, healthy, humorous, kind, and loving. My mind conjures up a smart, good-looking, well-dressed man of about 6’2” in height, somewhere between the ages of 24-35. The mere thought of such a person raises my pulse about 5-10 beats per minute. But if he is particularly kind, and we share a chemistry, he can dress in simple clothing, be not-so-good-looking, 5’6” in height, and already have had his 40th birthday. That person is also capable of raising my pulse. I should add that the man could not be lazy, but as for his occupation and personal income; that is irrelevant. Like the wren, I would be looking for a companion, not a bankroll.

Anyway, all of these thoughts enter my head because a few days ago a girlfriend suggested I use an internet dating website to, well, trill like the house wren. I am going to have to think about it for a while. I’m not the most assertive person on the planet and I am not thrilled with the idea of the forced induction of romance into my life. The accidental induction seems much more natural. Unfortunately, the accidental induction of romance also means there is probably going to be much less romance, so there is that to consider. But I’m going to give it some thought, and in a few days we’ll see if I’m up for giving it a try.

By the way; on the walk back through the wren’s area, he was silent. Either the tiny fellow was taking a moment to rest his voice, or he was busy entertaining an interested female. I’d like to think it was the latter of the two. It gives me hope.              

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I sent you a message through Okcupid and now another through one of these blog comments. I don't know if you saw the other one from a day ago. It's a comment under your blog "I Did It". I have since reread your entire blog and I looked again at your okcupid profile too, including those questions. I guess you could probably guess that I am interested, lol. Like you couldn't tell. :) Your pictures are great but there is a lot of other stuff about you that really gets me. I am writing this comment under my favorite blog section. Even though I don't know you Katie, when I use my imagination, this is the music I have put to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4KObwynSc

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I saw your comment when I decided to write to my blog just a few minutes ago. Check the "say hi to mike" thing on your profile page.

      Delete