Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Pleasant Time With Mike



This afternoon about 4 o’clock I met with a guy I first contacted through a dating website. We met at a popular food court. I guess it is highly recommended policy to meet at a public place for that kind of first meeting. His name is Mike and he was not only my first “internet date”, so to speak, it was also my first meeting with a previously unknown guy with the express purpose of exploring romantic possibilities. I have never been on a blind date or anything like that. Every man with whom I have spent time in any kind of romantic context I initially met for non-romantic reasons. I suppose that is why seeking, and meeting, a guy solely for romantic purposes strikes me as a little surreal. It does not seem in any way indecent or seedy, just a little surreal. Also, this afternoon I met a man who just by chance is the second “Mike” to come into my life in any sort of romantic situation. That seemed kind of weird too.  

By the middle of this afternoon I was more than a little nervous about the pending rendezvous. I started out this morning relatively calm and then became more stressed as the day went along. This afternoon I spent a half hour just selecting what I was going to wear. I spent close to fifteen minutes on my nails. I brushed my teeth, flossed, and then gargled - twice. Lastly, I inspected both nostrils for grossities. There's nothing much worse than an untidy nose. I was nervous, but it was a good nervous, a kind of excited nervous.

At this point in this blog entry I had written a couple of paragraphs describing the first moment of our meeting, and tidbits of our time together; what Mike and I talked about, and so forth, but although it was innocent stuff, I decided to delete all of it. That’s why this blog entry is so short, and it now seems disjointed. After giving it some thought, I have come to the conclusion that to go into any kind of detail concerning what we talked about would be a violation of trust and privacy. But this I can say; I had a wonderful time with Mike. He is really a great guy. But we both agreed by the end of the one+ hour we spent together that we were not going to spend the rest of our lives together in romantic bliss.

Human beings are a complicated species and Mike and I were not quite in tune with each other. But the afternoon was not a disappointment. I would not have written this blog entry if I had not enjoyed myself. I hope Mike does not think it was just a waste of his time, because it certainly was not a waste of my time. He may not have been my Mr. Right, and I may not have been Miss Right for him, but Mike is a good-natured guy, and as far as I’m concerned, spending time in pleasant company is never time wasted.

2 comments:

  1. I still get that "excited nervous" before a promising first date, hard to describe it .. but you did a great job!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you tried right? At the least, maybe you made a new friend. If you'd like to try your luck at chatting it up with me, let me know! Won't even make you floss!

    ReplyDelete