Thursday, June 27, 2013

Internet Dating, i.e., Bizarro World



It's lunchtime and I've got the time to post something in my goofball blog. 

Okay, I first visited an internet dating website less than two weeks ago, creating my own profile page. After that, I did not know what to expect. My guess was that over the next weeks or even months I would receive a total of twenty or thirty messages, of which about a half a dozen would be thought out, serious inquiries. I’m referring to sincere messages containing more than a few words. I thought if I were lucky, a couple of these would pique my interest and would be truly promising. I could see myself gathering a bit of courage and writing favorable responses. Fact was; my plan was to write a polite response to every message that had any length, or clearly took a little effort to write. I thought I’d write something like; Hello. You seem like a really nice guy and I appreciate your interest, however I do not think we would be quite right for each other. But I’m sure that lady is not far off in your future. At that point I had not yet crossed into Bizarro World.

A day after making my page at the website CasualKiss, I was told that OKCupid might be better, so I decided I’d use that website too. After all, both were free. Just before I created my OKCupid page, I checked my CasualKiss account. I had about 15 “looks” and five messages. None of the messages were more than a short sentence, but I figured it was very early in the process. I was sufficiently excited to write about it as a short, silly entry in my blog. I then went ahead and created an OKCupid account. I submitted all the standard information, downloaded some photos, and answered about two dozen additional profile questions. It was actually kind of fun.

The next day I went to my CasualKiss profile page. I had three more messages. One of the messages was a couple of sentences in length. He seemed like a nice guy, but he was only 21 years old. Still, things were looking up. I then went to my OKCupid account, which was less than 24 hours old at the time. To my complete and utter shock, I had received 57 messages. Fifty-seven! I was traumatized, literally. I frantically clicked off the page. When just being off the website did not seem good enough, I shut down my computer. I then just sat there for about five minutes staring at my dark monitor. I had found the gates of Bizarro World.

A while later, when I had regained my senses, I turned on the computer and clicked onto my OKCupid account. I started reading some of the messages. Over the course of about an hour I made it through about twenty or so. Most of the messages were short. Some were just “Hi”, but others went for several paragraphs. The thing was; while reading the messages, I would receive new ones. My total message count was getting up near 80.

A couple of days later, last Saturday, I figured I needed a method to sort through the messages, so I decided to read the longer messages and if they seemed promising, put them into a “possibility” pile. Those messages would get a second look. I was searching for the guy who found me interesting as a person, and in return, I found him interesting too. By Saturday evening I had seven messages in my “possibility” pile. I need to say that through this entire process I remained in a state of shock and bewilderment. I had never felt so popular in my life. I was truly inside the realm of Bizarro World.

On Sunday I went out on a hike, just to get away for a while and clear my head. On Sunday evening I looked at a few more messages. On Monday I decided I would write in my blog about the coyote I saw the previous day, and how it reminded me of the first coyote I ever saw five years ago. While at my blog I noticed that I had two comments posted a few days apart that were from the same guy. I recognized him at once. He had sent me a lengthy, funny yet sweetly romantic message at OKCupid, a message that I had placed in my “possibility” pile. Within the comment he had written under my blog was a link to a song at Youtube. I decided to give it a listen. It was a simple, 19th Century piano piece called The Girl With the Flaxen Hair. Thirty seconds into the music I was a mess… okay, yes, I had started to cry.

Now, a few days later, I sort of feel like an idiot. I say that because I am just too gullible for a humorous, charming letter and a sweet song. The combination made my rational thinking go right out the window. I guess that’s okay every once in a while, just as long as I don’t make it a habit. Anyway, his name is Mike. We messaged back and forth for a day, and then a day later we talked on the phone for over an hour. He is funny and pleasant with a nice voice. On Saturday we are going to meet in a public place and see how it goes. I am very nervous but I mostly feel sorry for Mike. He is going to be my first internet dating website guinea pig, poor guy.

There’s no doubt about it; internet dating is a strange thing. It is truly a trip through Bizarro World, especially if you are a painfully naive person concerning those things. I know just such a person. She is writing this sentence.            

5 comments:

  1. Wonder if I made it into the maybe pile! Although I just messaged you today, so if you already have alot of messages, I probably got buried! But hopefully the picture of me and my pup looking off into the horizon is a bright spot and catches your eye. Good luck on Saturday though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Mike! I wonder how often that song works.. does he A/B test it across messages with Satie's Gymnopédie No.1? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ..but you can never go wrong with Debussy.. well played, sir.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You do know Mike might be in for the most painful day of his life?

      Delete
    2. Ha.. that could be his thing, doesn't OKC have a question about that?

      Keep us posted!

      Matt

      Delete
  3. Mike likes Debussy? That's an all-time favorite of mine, too!

    ReplyDelete