Sunday, August 2, 2015

Shopping While Hungry

When I was in high school I started getting a taste for junk food cakes. I tried Ho Hos, Snowballs, and of course Twinkies. By the time I left for college, I had two favorites; vanilla flavored Zingers, and orange Hostess Cupcakes. To be fair, I would occasionally subsidized the utter lack of nutritional value in these foods with skimmed milk. I would dip the Zinger into a glass of milk, I would pour milk on the orange Hostess Cupcake, usually when it was in the package's plastic cup container, then eat it with a spoon.

It was the epitome of a "guilty pleasure". By the end of my freshman year, I had gone from a skinny girl, to having a "filled-out" figure, an anatomical enlargement at least partially due to my snack cake consumption. The habit could not go on forever and I finally said enough was enough. I stopped eating most of the cake junk food, and I started to exercise.

Wednesday I was pushing a cart through a grocery store when I came along boxes containing eight Hostess orange cupcakes. They were on sale, and I was feeling hunger pangs. I am not writing this blog entry to state that I purchased a box of cupcakes. I'm writing this blog entry to state that I purchased two boxes of cupcakes. Two boxes, or sixteen individually wrapped cupcakes.

That was Wednesday. Today is Sunday and of course all sixteen cupcakes are gone... well, strictly speaking they are gone. They seemingly still exist in the form of 2.5 pounds of bodyweight that I did not have last Tuesday. I'm not sure how one and a half pounds of food can become 2.5 pounds of bodyweight, but that's what seems to happen. I'll survive. Tomorrow I'll cut back on my caloric intake, and I'll visit my fitness center and do an extra ten minutes sweating on the elliptical.

Next time I go to the grocery store I'll make it a point not to be hungry.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment