Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Dinner Gratuity


I don't very often cook dinner. When I say "cook", I mean using pots, pans, and an oven other than my microwave. I don't very often cook dinner for myself, and it is even more rare that I cook dinner for someone else. I do not own an apron. Yesterday evening I cooked dinner for Terry, my boyfriend. I'm not sure what got into me. Once or twice in my adult life I have cooked a dinner in an effort to impress or at least to encourage some new guy in my life. But Terry has been around for a while now and so that was not my motive. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Anyway, the whole cooking ordeal took about forty-five minutes and most of that was just waiting for the timer to buzz. It involved cooking some Italian sausage, boiling some pasta shells, inserting a bit of the cooked sausage into each individual pasta shell along with a morsel of mozzarella cheese and a small slice of green pepper. I then placed the stuffed shells onto a cooking sheet and baked for about twenty minutes. The salad was bought at the grocery store and came out of a plastic bag straight into the bowl. Terry removed the cork out of the red wine bottle. Peach sherbet was for dessert. Not too tough to prepare a dinner like that.

After dinner we watched something I had previously recorded on my DVR; a movie with Will Smith that's title escapes me. About a half an hour into the movie Terry asked if he could brush my hair. He said that I deserved it, considering the effort I put into dinner. So, did I let him brush my hair? Are you kidding me!? There isn't much I like more than to have my hair gently brushed. If I were a kitten it would make me purr. After about five minutes of heavenly hair brushing, Terry stated that I needed my back massaged. I was instructed to lay on my stomach on the sofa, and to "just relax". He received no argument. Terry tenderly massaged all areas of my back and then followed it up with this soothing, gentle, back scratch that had my skin tingling. It was all so blissful that my slightly opened mouth drooled onto a sofa cushion.

Maybe I'll prepare dinner more often, what with the great gratuity I received. Still, I'm a little hesitant to become too domesticated. I'm not about to go out and buy an apron. At least not yet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment