Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Thoughts On a Cross Country Trek


My boyfriend Terry and I have actually discussed a cross country trip of about three weeks in length. We would both take time off of work if we decide to take this trek. We would visit places like Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and eastern California.

Terry isn't wild about the idea of flying so I proposed we go cross country on the ground. Terry suggested we rent a small RV, an RV or perhaps a camper/trailer. I have found that there are some problems with this idea.

An RV, even a small one, would cost us about $3000 for three weeks. That would not include campground fees, fuel, etc. Giving it some thought, if we drove an RV, that would mean that anywhere we would want to drive, we would be driving an RV. So backcountry dirt roads would be risky. If we wanted to go to a nice restaurant, we would be pulling into the parking lot in an RV, that is, if the parking lot would accommodate an RV. And an RV is probably not a lot of fun to drive. To make a long story short; I'm not thrilled with the idea of an RV.

Towing a small camper has its own problems. First, I'm not sure either Terry or I own a vehicle that could tow even a small camper. Also, whenever we would pull off into a parking lot, the camper would be coming too, taking up parking spaces. Perhaps the biggest problem is that I would need a camper with more than just sleeping quarters, I would need a camper with an interior toilet. Best I can ascertain after doing a little research, that would mean at least a mid-sized trailer which, in turn, would mean we would not have a car that could pull it. Bottom line; I'm giving a thumbs down to a camper.

So, it would appear that our best option would be motels. I'm not wild about motels. I don't too much mind a nice one for a stay of a few days. A couple of days allows me to get comfortable with the motel room. But I am a little creeped-out about checking into a series of run-of-the-mill motels. Still, with a little research and planning, the lesser quality motels can be mostly avoided. The downside to motels is that if we are going to stay in the better establishments, it would probably mean getting reservations weeks in advance, which would potentially take away some of the spontaneity of the trip. Personally, I would rather sacrifice some spontaneity rather than do without a bathroom. I love the outdoors, but I have my limits.  


No comments:

Post a Comment