Thursday, January 8, 2015

Terry Takes Root

I'm always thinking, and analyzing, the guy in my life, or at least the perspective guy in my life; what I want of him, and why I have those wants.

The number one thing is for the man to be friendly and personable. I love a guy who is self-effacing. I like intelligence too or perhaps more accurately, a guy who thinks and is at least somewhat philosophical. There's nothing like a man whose thoughts go beyond the surface of some given subject. Of course the biggest thing is that we can just talk to each other and we will not only listen to the other person, but know what that person is talking about.

Okay, I must admit that I do not mind if the guy is good-looking and well-built. I can't deny that when it comes to men, I am more attracted to muscular arms when compared to lanky arms. I admit that somewhat self-consciously because it seems sort of shallow, but it is the simple truth. On the other hand, I don't too much worry about a guy's income or his employment.

Two days ago I received a voice message at work while away at lunch. It was from an old friend, Ruth Ann. I have known Ruth Ann for about ten years. We met while birding one spring afternoon. We get together once every month or so either for dinner, or if the weather is good, birding. Ruth Ann is an older woman of about 60. She is divorced and works part time. Last year her mother died and it was very hard on her.

Anyway, in her message, Ruth Ann apologize for calling me at work, but she just felt like talking to someone. She then said that her dog, Sprinkle, had died last week. Sprinkle was like her special little friend. Even her Christmas cards said, "Merry Christmas from Ruth Ann and Sprinkle." In her message when she mentioned Sprinkle, her voice would crack and she was barely able to keep it together. But at the end of her message she said that she had decided to get another dog, and the day before picked up a medium-size, mixed breed dog named Archie. Ruth Ann then asked me to call her back when I had time.

It was an emotional message that had me almost in tears. For a few seconds I did not do anything but sit there. Finally I called Terry. The fact I called Terry was telling in itself. I asked him if he had time to talk for a minute, and he said he did. I told him about Ruth Ann's message.

Terry told me that I should call Ruth Ann and ask to speak to Archie. I told Terry that apparently he did not realize that Archie was a dog. He kind of chuckled and said that he knew who Archie was. "Just call your friend, say 'hello', then ask to speak to Archie," Terry insisted. He said that it would help give the new dog his own little place in Ruth Ann's life, and that's what both the dog, and Ruth Ann need.

A few minutes later I called Ruth Ann. I said hello and then immediately asked to speak to Archie. I cannot tell you how well that simple idea worked. It seemed Archie was getting telephone calls and becoming part of the family. Before I said good bye I had this distinct feeling that next holiday season Archie's name will be on Christmas cards.

When I called Terry, he could have told me he was busy. I would have accepted that. Or, he could have just listened to me and sympathized. I would have been overjoyed with that. But he listened and then made a rather odd, but ultimately wonderful suggestion.

Terry is the guy.  

        

No comments:

Post a Comment