Saturday, January 17, 2015

Meditating Away Anxiety and Depression

This is a first; two blog entries on the same day. This, the second of the two, came as something of an afterthought. Still, I want to write it while it is on my mind, and put it in my silly blog.

I suffer from clinical anxiety and depression, particularly clinical anxiety. This first hit me about ten years ago. These afflictions are not fun. Fact is; they are hellish. I cannot take medication for these conditions. Every medication I have tried has made me mildly ill physically. I will go on some medication and invariably it feels like I am coming down with the flu about 12 hours later. I have had to rely on cognitive therapy. As recommended by my therapist, I started to meditate regularly.

I meditate at least fifteen or twenty minutes a day. I try to meditate as early in the day as possible. If I can't meditate in the morning, I will hopefully find time to meditate during the afternoon. Sometimes my meditation session does not come until evening. A few people at work have caught me meditating by myself. I will stop, smile, and inform them what I am doing.

I find it rather humorous that I would be a person who mediates. I've always thought that it had a note of intellectual quackery to it. I am not into acupuncture. I am hardly a vegetarian. But meditation works for me. To that end, early this past week I posted a couple of flyers at work advertising that I would give a short, free, workplace seminar on meditation to anyone interested. The seminar was yesterday. A grand total of one person attended.

I will now pass on the gist of that "seminar" to any would-be reader...

Meditation takes practice. It's like exercising the body in that if you are new to it, it does not come easily. It might almost hurt at first. Meditation requires some conditioning; mental conditioning. It does not require sitting in a cross-legged position. It does not require any chanting. Just find a place where you won't be distracted, sit in any kind of comfortable position, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. Simply breath in and out and notice the inhales, and the exhales.

Your mind will wander. You might think of chores you need to do after work. Or your mind might wander as you contemplate an upcoming dentist appointment. Being distracted during meditation is normal. When you realize you are not focusing on your breathing, just gently redirect your attention to your breaths. Think of how your breaths feel as they enter and exit your body.

If you are lucky, the first mediation session may result in a brief instant or two of relaxation and an odd sense of tranquility. Over the next few sessions you may find that those gentle moments are coming a bit more often. Eventually those blissful periods will be strong enough and of long enough duration to have a continual positive effect on your mental state. You will become a more calm, serene person. Unfortunately, meditation will not make you smarter, I'm sorry to say.

I am not anxiety free, but I feel much better due to my meditation regiment. My mental disorders are now within my control. My life is good.            

1 comment:

  1. Good read, came across this blog almost by chance. I too have anxiety and depression issues. Its so true that anything requires practice, however, as you rightly stated in this article that any sort of practice becomes flawed when it has some rigidity in it, in that I mean if it comes with fixed instructions such as sitting in crossed legs and stuff. The stress is on the mindful practice of meditation.... You've to check out MBSR program conducted by prof Jon Kabat Zinn, if you haven't already!....:D.... And also read up on research done by Prof Christof Koch, who was at caltech, now he is working for Allen brain institute. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete