Friday, May 15, 2015

Technology Updating

I am on Tracphone and have a cheap flip phone. I have had the same phone for over five years. It was a bare-bones piece of technology then, and it has only gotten worse since. It looks like a half-used, black bar of soap and it's just about as slippery; I've dropped it several times. Once I dropped it on a sidewalk and it went into pieces. Believe it or not I was able to put it back together, and it worked. But it's an old, cheap thing and I can't do anything with it other than talk. And it's actually wearing out. The shine wore off of the the exterior several years ago.  The other day I pulled it out to make a call and someone started to laugh at it. My contract is about to run out, as are the minutes available. I've been thinking about getting something that is not obsolete.

When it comes to this type of technology, my boyfriend Terry is a little more knowledgeable than am I... okay, maybe he is a lot more knowledgeable. Still, he doesn't necessarily know how to combine the best smartphone for the money with my needs and what I am willing to spend. Right now, at 5:36 PM on Friday, I'm thinking about venturing out this weekend and buying a Samsung Galaxy S4 for around $400 or so and visiting Walmart where they have something called Straight Talk that offers unlimited text and data for about $50 a month and no contract.

More than a lack of technological expertise, I have no knowledge of plans that are available, what I will need, who is best and who is not. I am going on the advice of others. Once I get through this learning curve, I'll be faced with coming up to speed concerning all that can be done with a smartphone.

I'm paying the toll for living in my own little world of solo nature hikes, trips to a fitness center, evenings out to dinner or to a movie, or alone at home causing trouble on the Net with a glass of wine and/or bourbon at my elbow. I'm living proof that not all goofball geeks are geekish in the field of electronic technology.    

No comments:

Post a Comment