Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Mortal Girl On a Chilly Day


I am pretty much over my appendectomy. I still have to take it easy for another week or so but I’m getting near 100%. I'd estimate that I'm at 80% or so. I probably should have gone to work today but I just was not quite in the mood. Tomorrow for sure.

Today I drove over to Coldspring Park; about a five minute drive from my apartment. I could have walked to the park but I’m just not quite up to it yet. I bundled up with the intent of doing a little hiking around. I took my binoculars in hopes of seeing some birds, maybe even an early spring arrival.

There aren't many people enjoying the outdoors on a cold weekday afternoon. The park was very quiet. Actually, it seemed kind of a lonely place. As I was walking along, I got to thinking about what one of the doctors said when I was in recovery from my appendectomy an hour or so after my surgery. He said that if I had waited a few more hours to come into the hospital, I could have been in big trouble. I think “big trouble” really meant “dead”. That triggered other thoughts, thoughts I've occasionally had before. As I meandered along, I got to thinking about how it has been over ten years since high school. I can vividly remember conversations I had with my friends while in high school. I can recall facial expressions during the conversations and everything. It is as if that silly yakking took place yesterday. The fact that it took place ten years ago is just a little bit scary. Such thoughts make me aware of my own mortality; that I have only so much time on planet Earth.

I have heard said that a person should consider his or her future, but always appreciate the day because tomorrow is promised to no one. It’s when I start having somewhat morose, almost creepy thoughts that I realize such philosophies have merit. Paradoxically, if I think about my own mortality too much, it hurts my appreciation of the day. 

I spotted either a Cooper’s hawk or a sharp-shinned hawk, I’m not sure which. They look a lot alike from a distance. It was good seeing him, whatever he was.        

No comments:

Post a Comment