Sunday, May 26, 2013

Thanks Dad

Okay, I just started this dumb blog and this is my second blog entry, but it should have been my first. This entry is about my father. No it's not Father's Day. It is Memorial Day, or at least tomorrow is Memorial Day. My father is a Vietnam veteran. He actually was in on the fighting. He doesn't talk about it much, but I know. He had a friend killed in action. As far as I can tell, Vietnam did not leave a mark on dad, inside or out. He is a super nice guy. Growing up, he never spanked me. He didn't even shout at me. But I remember one time when I was about 15 and I did something I shouldn't, he looked me right in the eye and told me in this solemn voice how disappointed he was in me. He then turned and walked away. I went to my room and cried. That's the kind of effect he had on me. That's the kind of effect he still has on me almost 13 years later.

Vietnam didn't leave a mark on my father but I think there's still some military in him. Several months ago he paid a visit to my apartment to do some handyman work, and my extra parking space was being used without my approval by some neighbor, so there was nowhere for my dad to park. Well, he parked right behind the neighbor's car, blocking him in. When the neighbor wanted to drive off, he had to come to my apartment and ask my father to move his car. The neighbor, a guy in his 20s, seemed agitated that my father would block him in. My father said that he should have asked permission before using someone else's parking space. The guy rolled his eyes in annoying indifference at my father's suggestion. The attitude did not sit well with my dad and he said so to the guy, eyeball to eyeball. It was a little bit scary for a few seconds. My father is 62 but he jogs and lifts weights, and oh yeah, he pretty much demands respect. The neighbor has not used my extra parking space since. Gosh, I wonder why not.

I'm going to go over to my parents' house tomorrow with a six pack of Samuel Adams Lager Beer. I'm going to drink one with my father while we watch a baseball game. It will be Memorial Day and I'm going to remember that my father is a veteran... and a very special man.


No comments:

Post a Comment