Thursday, July 3, 2014

It's Been a Year

Almost exactly one year ago I went with my father out into the country on his traditional 4th of July celebration with several of his friends. They shoot-off skyrockets and blow up various items with fireworks, some of them rather large, homemade fireworks. I met a guy there; Dan. He was a really nice guy and we carried on a relatively brief but enjoyable, and at times highly energetic relationship. There are times when I sometimes think of him. I find it hard to believe that it was a year ago.

Yesterday evening my father called me and asked me if I wanted to go with him again this year. He quickly assured me that Dan would not be there. When I still hesitated a bit, he barked, "Katie, we really want you to be in attendance", I kind of giggled and agreed. It's nice to be wanted, such as it is.

So tomorrow morning I will set my alarm to 7AM when I will rise, consume some breakfast, and then drive over to my parents' where my father and I will travel together out to a farm for the annual event. I will likely see the demise of some toy cars and/or boats, a Barbie Doll or two, and some functional but expendable electronic devices. There's nothing quite so oddly entertaining as the sound of Glen Beck's voice being abruptly silenced by a small explosion.   

3 comments:

  1. How did it go?? Hope there were no surprise Dan appearances haha! Hope you had a good fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things went well. We moved inside into a big metal building owned by one of my dad's friends. I got to load and then shoot a flintlock rifle at a microwave oven that had a working light and turning plate but would no longer cook food. A very 4th of July moment. A doll that met her demise via firecracker looked a little too much like me when I was little. I think it was a "Journey Girl; Meredith" doll. That was kind of creepy.

      Delete
  2. Haha that sounds like a lot of fun. Although the creepy doll may have lost me some sleep heh. Certainly sounds like a great day of American awesomeness! I'm pretty jealous. I haven't shot guns in a while. I need to go to the range!

    ReplyDelete